The Dunnottar Station Museum & Ponemah Beach Central Art Centre
Dunnottar Station Museum in the Village of Dunnottar MB
Recreating the Past:
This area was further developed by the CPR in 1903 when the line was built north from Selkirk, Manitoba to Winnipeg Beach through the areas named Matlock, Whytewold, and Ponemah now called the Village of Dunnottar (amalgamated 1948).
The area called Matlock was named for a town in Derbyshire, England.
The name Whytewold was named after Sir William Whyte who was Vice President of the CPR and an original summer resident.
Ponemah was named from Longfellows poem “Hiawatha” which meant “the land of the here after”, or where the birds go.
The rail line was later extended north to Gimli 1906 and to Riverton in 1914.
The work of residents and volunteers in the village has become very evident. Local folks have been very busy cleaning up, gardening, painting and building. There is a growing interest in remembering the origin of the area and the future of this quiet little Village beside Lake Winnipeg.
The group called “The Friends of Dunnottar – Station Project” formed in 2004 has acquired assistance from the Province of Manitoba Community Places Grant. They are designated a not-for-profit organization and issue tax receipts for donations of money, local memorabilia and Canadian Pacific Railway artifacts valued at over the sum of $10.00.
Donations gratefully accepted and should be made payable to:
The Friends of Dunnottar – Station Project.
PO Box 444, Winnipeg Beach MB R0C 3G0